Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for P.S. 29’s in-school BAND program
FAQs edited (as of 10/4/16)
I already filled out and returned the form. Do I need to apply online as well?
YES, you still need to rent online, no later than Saturday, October 8th. The rental process is through our accompanying rental program, Music & Arts. Step-by-step directions are listed below.
We tried renting online with Music & Arts, but it didn’t recognize the School Name.
Be sure to do the following:
- go to musicarts.com
- click on the RENTALS tab
- enter the school zip code 11201
- click on RENTALS FOR SCHOOL
- type in your child’s grade (4 or 5)
- type PS 29 JOHN M HARRIGAN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (if you type “29” in the “refine search” line, it will be easier to find this school to click on)
- select the school from the drop down menu
- select the instrument in which your child has been placed (flute, clarinet, alto saxophone, trumpet, trombone, or drum kit)
- select DELIVER TO SCHOOL
- buy the SUGGESTED BOOK (required)
- follow the remaining instructions to complete the rental
What is the difference between renting from Music Arts and getting a school-owned rental?
School-owned instruments are reserved for families using the free-lunch program. School-owned instrument rentals require a $50 maintenance fee for the year (required before start of band), whereas Music Arts rentals have their own specific fees and protection plans (see below).
What are the different costs of instrument rental with Music & Arts?
Flute, Clarinet, Trumpet, Trombone, or Drum Kit: $110 RENTAL FEE + $25 LIABILITY DAMAGE WAIVER (LDW) + $11.98 TAX. TOTAL: $146.98
Alto Saxophone: $200 RENTAL FEE + $35 LIABILITY DAMAGE WAIVER (LDW) + $20.86 TAX. TOTAL: $255.86
School-Owned Rentals (reserved for families using the Free Lunch Program): Annual $50 Maintenance Fee due prior to first day of band.
We own an instrument. Do we need a book?
YES, you will need Essential Elements for Band, Book 1. Make sure you purchase the book specific for your child’s instrument: Flute, B-flat Clarinet, Alto Saxophone, B-flat Trumpet, Trombone, or Drum Kit.
Where can we buy the book?
Essential Elements for Band, Book 1 is available online. Make sure it’s specific for your child’s instrument (as noted above), and can be found here:
Do we need to buy reeds?
Yes, any student playing saxophone or clarinet needs to buy reeds.
What types of reeds should we buy?
Rico or Rico Royal strength 2.0 or 2.5 are best
Do we get to take the instrument home after band class?
Yes, we require students to take home the instrument after band class. Instruments need to be taken home the end of the day on band days. The morning of band days, students place instruments outside their homeroom class, to be stored until lunchtime band rehearsal. For Intermediate Concert Band (on Fridays in the auditorium), students are allowed to leave instruments just inside the auditorium door (out of the walkway), before and after band class, to be picked up again on their way out of school at the end of the day.
When does the band program start?
- Beginning Band Sectionals start Tuesday, October 25th. Class is every Tuesday during lunch recess.
- Intermediate Band Sectionals start Thursday, October 27th. Class is every Thursday during lunch recess.
- Intermediate Concert Band starts Friday, October 28th. Class is every Friday during lunch recess.
Where does band take place?
Band Sectionals take place in designated classrooms on the 4th and 5th floor; Beginning Sectionals on Tuesdays and Intermediate Sectionals on Thursdays. Intermediate Concert Band takes place in the auditorium on Fridays.
What time is band?
Band is 12:05 – 1:05. Band kids stay on the 5th floor and immediately have their sack or school lunch as a group. After lunch, they have Band Sectionals until by 1:05pm. The same applies to Fridays for Intermediate Concert Band, except students have lunch in the outer cafeteria and then head to the auditorium for rehearsal.
Should my child bring a sack lunch on band days?
Students should bring their lunch on band days, to be eaten on the 5th floor at the start of band time. Students using school lunch or the free lunch program are allowed to quickly go to the lunchroom to get their lunch at the start of band lunch.
We rented over the summer at the end of band last year. What do we do now?
Keep your rental and be sure to renew for this year. Intermediate Band will be using the same book as Beginning Band, (but moving ahead in the book). So Intermediate Band students do NOT need to purchase a new book.
When do we hand in our instruments in the spring?
- Beginning Band (4th graders) must hand in their instruments the night of the spring concert in May. If you have rented from Music Arts, be SURE to call Music Arts in May to receive an authorization number (RA#) for pickup.
- Intermediate Band (5th graders) will wait until graduation day to hand in their instruments, after Intermediate Band performs at graduation.
How much does it cost for a repair?
Repair costs vary, depending on specific repairs, damages, and Liability Damage Waiver (or lack thereof). General repairs are under $100, and can be as low as $40. We do arrange for pick up and an estimate (no charge) before authorizing a repair, if you’d like to find out the cost of repair first.
My child has a middle school tour on a band day. Is this okay?
Yes, this counts as an excused absence. Additionally, missing because of sickness or a doctor’s appointment or family travel is excused. Skipping to go to recess on a sunny day or because the student forgot his/her instrument in unacceptable. Students must attend class every week even if he/she forgot the instrument that day.